Clover Honey Muffins
- Yield 2 dozen
These muffins are naturally sweetened with clover honey.
- 5 cups oats
- 5 cups oat bran
- 2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup dates
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- 8 -- bananas, mashed
- 2 cups clover honey
- 4 cups skim or evaporated skim milk
- 4 -- egg whites
- 9 ounces applesauce
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Grease 24 muffin cups. Combine the oats, bran, nuts, seeds, dates and baking powder in a large bowl. Combine the bananas, honey, milk, egg whites and applesauce in another bowl and mix well. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Spoon into the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from South Carolina Outdoor Press Association’s Wild Fare and Wise Words (Columbia, South Carolina, 2005).