Clint’s Hobo Hoe Cakes
- Yield: servings
"Since I came up with this recipe for hoe cakes, I haven't had leftovers to bring home. Everybody else's cornbread is still sitting, and my hoe cakes are gone."
- 8tablespoons self-rising cornmeal
- 4tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 (12-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2pound crisply cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/2cup buttermilk
- Vegetable oil or bacon grease
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, green onions, egg, corn, and bacon. Stir in the buttermilk, 1/4 cup at a time. Use just enough milk to hold the batter together.
- Heat 2 to 4 tablespoons of oil in a medium-size skillet. Shape the batter into patties. They can be small or large, but be certain that they are not too thick, or they will not cook evenly. Turn the hoe cakes when the first side is golden brown. Fry the second side. Add additional oil to the pan if needed for a second or third batch. Serve the hoe cakes while they’re still hot. Yield: 6 large or 8 to 12 small hoe cakes.
Recipe by Clint Raines, Middleboro, Ky.