Cleveland "Brown Betty" with Maple Ice Cream
- Yield: 6 servings
- 5large golden delicious apples (about 2 pounds), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1cup apple cider
- 3tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 2tablespoons butter, divided
- 3slices whole-wheat bread (1-ounce each) crusts included (to make about 2 1/4 cups crumbs)
- 3tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1cup maple or cinnamon ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine apples, apple cider, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender but not mushy, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter until melted, remove from heat and transfer apple mixture to a 9-inch glass pie plate.
- Place bread in food processor and process until crumbs are formed, about 15 seconds. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in microwave for 20 seconds. Toss crumbs with melted butter, walnuts, remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Scatter crumb mixture on top of apples and bake for 30 minutes, until topping is crisped and lightly browned. Serve with ice cream.