Clay Pot Ratatouille
- Yield servings
A recipe of tender veggies made in our kitchen's newest gadget, the VitaClay.
- 1 medium eggplant, diced into 1″ chunks
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1″ squares
- 3 small zucchini, sliced 1/2″ thick
- 4 medium tomatoes cut into 1″ chunks
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon thyme, fresh or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, fresh, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried
- 2 bay leaves, whole
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lemon, optional
- Heat olive oil in a large pot like a Dutch oven or skillet. Sauté onions until they are translucent. Add garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes. Transfer ingredients to Vitaclay pot.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, all the herbs, salt and pepper. Cover and set on Slow cooking “Stew” setting for 50 minutes. In the middle of cooking for about 30 minutes, add the eggplant, zucchini, red and green peppers and continue to simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, carefully stirring occasionally. Squeeze lemon juice in the Ratatouille if you like.
—Recipe by Patty James