- Yield 24 servings
Vinaigrette is so forgiving. Too oily? Add more vinegar. Too tart? Add more oil. Too bland? Add more salt, or maybe a bit of mustard. Too salty? Add more oil, and maybe some vinegar.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup vinegar (red wine, white wine, balsamic, unseasoned rice or cider)
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, or more to taste
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- Put olive oil, vinegar, shallot, if using, mustard, salt and pepper in a container with a lid. Cover and shake to mix. Taste for seasoning, adding more mustard, salt or pepper. Use about 1 teaspoon of dressing per cup of salad. Makes about 1 cup.
Reprinted with permission from Katie Workman's The Mom 100 Cookbook (Workman Publishing, 2012).