Classic Spinach Salad
- Yield 4 servings
With baby spinach readily available in supermarkets, you can enjoy this nutrient-rich salad year-round. The red onion and bell pepper slices add flavor and color contrast.
- 1/2 (6-oz) bag baby spinach (about 4 cups)
- 8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
- 1 clove red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium orange or red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 hard-cooked egg, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 dash liquid smoke (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss together the spinach, mushrooms, onion, orange pepper, and egg in a large salad bowl.
- Whisk together the vinegar, oil, mustard, and liquid smoke, if using, in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss.
From THE ULTIMATE VOLUMETRICS DIET, compliments of William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers