Classic Pot Roast with Mushrooms
- Yield servings
A comforting crowd-pleaser with plenty of vegetables.
- 3 pounds chuck roast
- (about 2 inches thick)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced yellow or white onion
- 3/4 cup diced carrot
- 3/4 cup diced celery or celery root
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound shiitake or portabello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium, low-fat beef broth
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Preheat oven to 300F. Trim beef of all visible fat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large Dutch oven. Add beef and brown on all sides. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, carrot, celery and parsnip to pan. Saute
- until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, mushrooms, chili powder and cook 3 minutes.
- Return meat to pan, and add broth, tomato sauce, red wine, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and place in oven and cook 3 to 31/2 hours, until beef is fork tender. (There will be lots of liquid.)
- Dissolve cornstarch in cold water. Pour cornstarch mixture into pan, stirring constantly. Return to oven and cook 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Serves 10.
Recipe by Chef Chris Koetke.