Classic Pimiento Cheese
- Yield: 2 1/2 cups
Serve with buttery crackers or stuffed in celery stalks for an easy appetizer.
- 2cups finely shredded extra-sharp Cheddar
- 1/2cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- 1/3cup mayonnaise, divided
- 1small garlic clove, crushed
- 1tablespoon grated shallot or yellow onion
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained but liquid reserved
- Ground cayenne pepper
- 1pinch English-style dry mustard
- Combine half the Cheddar and half the Parmesan cheese in a large bowl. Mix together lightly. Knead in 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise until mixture is creamy and very smooth.
- Work in remaining cheese, garlic, shallot, pimientos, 1 tablespoon of reserved pimiento liquid, a dash of cayenne and a small pinch of dry mustard. Knead just enough to mix well: it should still have plenty of texture. Add remaining mayonnaise, if necessary—-just enough to make it spreadable.
- Let stand 30 minutes. Serve cool or at room temperature
Recipe by Damon Lee Fowler
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 320
- Fat 11g
- Sodium 510mg
- Carbohydrate 3g
- Fiber 0g
- Protein 15g