Classic Meatloaf with Tomato Sauce Topping
- Yield 6 servings
A healthy traditional meatloaf.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 -- (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 -- egg
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Heat oven to 350F. Measure 1/4 cup tomato sauce; combine with topping ingredients. Set aside.
- Combine remaining tomato sauce with remaining meatloaf ingredients in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape beef mixture into 8 x 4-1/2-inch loaf on rack in broiler pan. Spread topping over meatloaf. Bake in 350F oven 1 hour, until instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 160F.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Cut into slices.
Four-Pepper Meatloaf Variation: Prepare meatloaf as above, adding 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper, 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper and 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper to ground beef mixture.
Picadillo-Style Meatloaf Variation: Prepare meatloaf as above, omitting thyme and adding 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper, 1/4 cup raisins, 1 teaspoon ground cumin and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed, to ground beef mixture.