Classic Meatloaf with Tomato Sauce Topping
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 1/2pounds ground beef
- 1-- (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1cup soft bread crumbs
- 1-- egg
- 1small onion, finely chopped
- 2teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/2teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 1tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1teaspoon dry mustard
- Heat oven to 350F. Measure 1/4 cup tomato sauce; combine with topping ingredients. Set aside.
- Combine remaining tomato sauce with remaining meatloaf ingredients in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape beef mixture into 8 x 4-1/2-inch loaf on rack in broiler pan. Spread topping over meatloaf. Bake in 350F oven 1 hour, until instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 160F.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Cut into slices.
Four-Pepper Meatloaf Variation: Prepare meatloaf as above, adding 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper, 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper and 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper to ground beef mixture.
Picadillo-Style Meatloaf Variation: Prepare meatloaf as above, omitting thyme and adding 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper, 1/4 cup raisins, 1 teaspoon ground cumin and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed, to ground beef mixture.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 279
- Fat 15g
- Saturated Fat 6g
- Monounsaturated Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 112mg
- Sodium 42mg
- Carbohydrate 11g
- Fiber 1.2
- Protein 24g