Classic Cherry Pie
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1/2cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2cups all-purpose flour
- 3teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1/4cup butter
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1-- egg
- 2teaspoons vinegar
- 1/4cup ice water
- 4cups drained cherries, juice reserved
- 1 1/4cups sugar
- 3tablespoons tapioca
- pinch salt
- 1 1/3cups juice (reserved from cherries)
- -- Tiny dab red gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Crust: Blend shortening, flour, powdered sugar, butter and salt. Cut flour until it resembles cornmeal. Beat egg, blend in vinegar and water, and sprinkle over flour mixture. Toss with fork. Chill before rolling, about 1 hour. Makes 2 (9-inch pie crusts).
- Filling: In a large-size bowl, mix together all ingredients and pour into the pie shell. Cover with top crust and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for 45 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.