Classic Beef Stroganoff
- Yield 8 servings
Strips of beef are sauteed with onions and mushrooms, then covered in a creamy sauce.
- 3 pounds top sirloin
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 to 1 cup sherry
- 2 cups sour cream
- Cut the sirloin into 1 x 2-inch thin strips. Brown the sirloin and onions in the butter in a heavy medium saucepan. Add the mushrooms. Saute until the mushrooms are browned.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, water, bay leaves, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Let stand until cool.
- Add the sherry 1/2 cup at a time and taste for the desired flavor. Cook for 30 minutes longer or until the beaf is tender. Cool to room temperature.
- Discard the bay leaves. Stir in the sour cream and cook just until heated through; do not boil. Serve over hot cooked noodles.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Waterloo-Cedar Falls, Iowa, First Impressions, Dining with Distinction (the Junior League of Waterloo-Cedar Falls, Iowa, Inc., 2001).