Classic Beef Stroganoff
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3pounds top sirloin
- 3large onions, chopped
- 8ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 to 1cup sherry
- 2cups sour cream
- Cut the sirloin into 1 x 2-inch thin strips. Brown the sirloin and onions in the butter in a heavy medium saucepan. Add the mushrooms. Saute until the mushrooms are browned.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, water, bay leaves, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Let stand until cool.
- Add the sherry 1/2 cup at a time and taste for the desired flavor. Cook for 30 minutes longer or until the beaf is tender. Cool to room temperature.
- Discard the bay leaves. Stir in the sour cream and cook just until heated through; do not boil. Serve over hot cooked noodles.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Waterloo-Cedar Falls, Iowa, First Impressions, Dining with Distinction (the Junior League of Waterloo-Cedar Falls, Iowa, Inc., 2001).