- Yield: 8 servings
- 4tablespoons butter
- 1/2cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1/2cups wheat flakes cereal, slightly crushed
- 1/2cup nuts, chopped
- 3-- eggs, separated
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1/2teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 1/2teaspoon orange peel, grated
- 1/4teaspoon lime peel, grated
- 3tablespoons lemon juice
- 2tablespoons orange juice
- 1teaspoon lime juice
- 1cup heavy cream
- To prepare the crust. Melt butter and brown sugar together. Simmer one minute then add cereal and nuts. Spread on cookie sheet and set aside to cool.
- To prepare filling. In large bowl beat egg whites with mixer on high until soft peaks form. Add sugar gradually until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Fold into egg whites. In a medium bowl, combine peels, juices and cream and beat on hight until soft peaks form. Fold into egg mixture.
- Crumble cooled crust mixture and place half of it in bottom of buttered pie plate. Spoon filling and top with remaining crumbled crust. Freeze until firm, at least 8 hours or overnight. Allow to thaw slightly before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Johnson City’s Treasures of the Smokies(Johnson City, Tn., 1986),