Citrus Golden Ring Cake
- Yield: 16 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
Like the circular wedding ring, a circle speaks of eternity, the circle of life and the notion that what goes around comes around.
- Cooking spray
- 1 3/4cups granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 3cups all-purpose flour, plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 3/4cup buttermilk
- 1/4cup fresh orange juice
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 2tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
- Buttery Citrus Icing:
- 1/4cup (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
- 2teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 1tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 3tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Orange zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Coat a 10-inch tube pan or 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray. Combine 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon flour. Sprinkle over oiled pan, tapping out excess.
- Beat butter with a mixer at high speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar. Continue beating until well combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Sift 3 cups flour, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl.
- Combine buttermilk, orange juice and lemon juice. Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat at low speed. Stir in the first amounts orange and lemon rinds. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 60 to 70 minutes, until top is golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To prepare icing, combine butter and powdered sugar using a mixer at medium speed. Add second amounts of orange and lemon rinds, and juices, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat well.
- Cool cake in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Turn onto a serving plate. Pour one-third of icing over cake while still warm. Cool completely and spread with remaining icing. Garnish with orange zest, if desired.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Glycemic Load 15
- Calories 380
- Fat 16g
- Saturated Fat 10g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 75mg
- Sodium 270mg
- Potassium 80mg
- Carbohydrate 58g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugars 38g
- Protein 4g
- Trans Fat 0.5g
- Vitamin A 10%
- Vitamin C 10%
- Calcium 4%
- Iron 8%