Citrus, Fennel and Arugula Salad
- Yield 4 servings
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed, lightly crushed
- Zest from 1 orange
- 4 oranges
- 1 bulb of fennel, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 8 cups arugula
- 1/3 cup marcona almonds
- 8 kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- In a small bowl, mix together olive oil, fennel seed and orange zest. Set aside.
- Cut the top and bottom off each orange so you have a flat surface for cutting. Using a sharp paring knife, cut down the curved side of each orange to remove the peel, while leaving as much of the pulp intact. Cut each orange into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Place the arugula in a large bowl. Add the fennel and red onion, toss to combine. Divide the salad among the plates. Top with sliced orange. Sprinkle with almonds and olives.
- Whisk together the flavored oil and sherry vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over the salad and top with another crack of black pepper.
This recipe originally appeared as Citrus and Arugula Salad with Marcona Almonds and Fennel on An Avocado a Day.