- Yield: servings
- 5tablespoons unsalted California butter, softened
- 1cup granulated sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- Grated zest from 1 orange
- Grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1 2/3cups flour
- 2 1/4teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup Real California milk
- 2teaspoons lemon juice
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2whole large eggs
- 3whole large egg yolks
- 3whole large eggs
- 3/4cup granulated sugar
- 1/2cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3tablespoons unsalted Real California butter, softened
- Silver cake beads (dragees)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour insides of 12 muffin cups, or insert paper liners.
- To prepare cupcakes: With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together butter, sugar and citrus zests until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together Real California Milk, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Mixture will curdle slightly.
- With an electric mixer on low speed, alternately add dry ingredients and milk to butter mixture in 3 additions, stirring well after each addition. On medium speed, add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat for 1 minute.
- Evenly divide the batter between cupcake molds. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans. Cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare frosting: Whisk together egg yolks, eggs and sugar. Whisk in lemon juice. Cook in a double boiler or on stovetop over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer lemon mixture to a bowl. Cool for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in butter. Cover mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold and firm, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Frost cupcakes. Sprinkle silver cake beads on each cupcake.
Recipe courtesy of the California Milk Advisory Board