Citrus Couscous with Raisins and Toasted Nuts
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
This delicious and colorful dish proves that simple food can be visually stunning and good for you.
- 1cup grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed or unsweetened bottled
- 1/2cup couscous
- 3/4cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1small tomato, peeled, and diced
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 3tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/2medium grapefruit
- 1/2cup California raisins
- 1/4cup chopped pecans or almonds, toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4cup fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- Bring grapefruit juice to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes, or until couscous has absorbed all the juice.
- Combine couscous, chickpeas, green onion, tomato, olive oil and capers in a large bowl. Toss gently to combine.
- Using a paring knife, cut out bite-sized sections of grapefruit, leaving behind the membrane. Stir grapefruit chunks, raisins and nuts into couscous mixture. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with basil leaves before stirring.
Recipe by Ying Compestine