Citrus Basil Shortbread Cookies
- Yield About 1 1/2 dozen
A hint of basil and a blast of lemon and lime make these shortbread cookies a hit.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (plus more for pressing cookies)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime rind
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine flour, sugar, butter, basil, lemon and lime rind, lemon juice and salt in the bowl of a food processor. pulse unti combimed. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons water (1 at a time) and pulse until large moist clumps are formed.
- Using a tablespoon, measure out dough and roll into balls. Place on a baking sheet 2 inches apart. Dampen the bottom of a glass, dip in powdered sugar and press cookies into 2-inch rounds.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to let cook completely.