Cinnamon-Raisin Stuffed French Toast
- Yield 12 servings
"As a new bride, I was nervous about preparing something special that my mother-in-law would enjoy. This proved to be a winner. "
- Cooking spray
- 24 raisin bread slices, crusts trimmed
- 8 eggs, divided
- 3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 (8-ounce) packages Neufchatel or regular cream cheese, softened
- Cinnamon-sugar, optional
- Coat a 13 x 9-inch glass baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange 12 bread slices in bottom of pan, overlapping slightly.
- Whisk 6 eggs in a large bowl until well beaten. Add milk, half-and-half, and 1/2 cup sugar; mix well. Pour half evenly over the bread slices.
- Combine remaining 2 eggs, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and cheese in a blender. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour over bread slices. Arrange remaining 12 bread slices on top of the cheese mixture, overlapping slightly, and pour remaining milk mixture evenly over all. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Remove plastic wrap. Place in oven and bake 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar, if desired.
Recipe by Laura Frerich, Napoleon, Ohio