Cinnamon Raisin Buns with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2cup warm water
- 1/4cup orange juice
- 4 1/2teaspoons dry yeast
- 3tablespoons sugar
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant French vanilla pudding mix
- 1 3/4cups cold whole milk
- 1/2cup melted unsalted butter
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- 1teaspoon cardamom
- 6cups flour (maybe a little more to attain the proper consistency)
- 1cup very soft butter
- 1cup light brown sugar
- 1cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4cup cinnamon
- 2cups golden California raisins
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 8ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1tablespoon milk
- 2cups powdered sugar
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- Mix water, orange juice, yeast and sugar together until yeast and sugar are dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large bowl prepare pudding mix according to package directions. Add butter, eggs and, orange zest and salt; mix to blend well. Add yeast mixture and blend well. Gradually add flour and cardamom; transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead dough until smooth. (The dough should be soft but not sticky.)
- Place in a greased bowl; cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down dough and let rise again. Roll out on a floured surface. Take 1 cup soft butter and spread over surface.
- In a bowl mix 2 cups brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top. Evenly sprinkle raisins across the sugar. Roll up tightly. Put a notch every 2 inches. Cut with a good serrated knife. Place swirls on lightly greased cookie sheet or in 4 (8-inch) square disposable pans; lightly press each roll down. Cover and let rise to double again.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and top with frosting. Serve and enjoy!
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, cream cheese and milk with an electric mixer. With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla extract.
Recipe by Susan Whetzel of Doughmesstic