Cinnamon Raisin Apple Indian Pudding
- Yield 9 servings
Serve this version of a New England colonial favorite for breakfast or dessert.
- 1 quart nonfat milk
- 2/3 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/4 cup (packed) brown sugar (or molasses)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 -- eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (packed) raisins
- 4 -- apples, cored, chopped (peel on)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 9-inch square pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Heat milk in heavy saucepan to boiling. Whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir until thick, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in eggs, raisins, and apples. Bake for 60 minutes.
Recipe by Kristine Napier, MPH, RD, Wisconsin. Reprinted with permission from John Wiley & Sons, Inc. The American Dietetic Association's Cooking Healthy Across America (Wiley, 2004).