Cinnamon Lamb Tagine with Apricots
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
Cinnamon is one of the key ingredients in North African spice blends. Here its sweetness is balanced by the tartness of the dried apricots.
- 3 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 -- onion, cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon garam masala or Moroccan cinnamon spice blend
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless lamb leg, trimmed and cubed
- 2 -- garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 -- (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 -- carrots, cut into coins
- 1 -- medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced dried apricots
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In the bottom of a flameproof tagine, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add spice blend, lamb and garlic, stirring to coat lamb with vegetables and seasonings. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 7 minutes or until lamb is browned on all sides.
- Add tomatoes with juice, carrots, zucchini and apricots and bring liquids to a boil, stirring frequently. Cover with tagine lid, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Stir in chickpeas and honey, replace lid and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until lamb is tender. Lamb should cut easily with a fork and if not quite tender, replace cover and simmer until tender.
Excerpted from 150 Best Tagine Recipes by Pat Crocker © 2011 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.