Cinnamon-Glazed Oatmeal Cookies
- Yield: 4
- 3cups old-fashioned oats
- 2cups flour
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1cup walnuts, chopped
- Cinnamon glaze:
- 1cup sugar
- 2tablespoons skim or whole milk
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2teaspoon cinnamon
- Food coloring (optional)
For the cookies:
- Combine the oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Beat the butter, brown sugar and sugar in a mixing bowl until creamy, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until blended. Add the oats mixture and beat until combined. Stir in the walnuts.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on the cookie sheet for 1 minute. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the glaze:
- Combine the sugar, skim milk, vanilla and cinnamon in a bowl and stir until of a glaze consistency.
- If using food coloring to tint the glaze, add a few drops until desired color is reached.
- Drizzle the glaze over cooled cookies. Let stand until set.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc., River Road Recipes IV: Warm Welcomes, Entertaining Menus from Our Homes to Yours (the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc., 2004)