- Pomegranate Apple Compote:
- 1cup pomegranate juice
- 1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise
- 1/2cup dried, pitted cherries
- 1tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2pounds Gala apples, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2cup real maple syrup
- Cinnamon French Toast:
- 4large eggs
- 1 1/4cups low-fat milk or plain soymilk
- 3teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 8slices cinnamon swirl or challah bread, sliced 1 1/2-inch thick
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1cup fresh pomengranate arils
- Powdered sugar, as needed
- Compote: Heat pomegranate juice in a small saucepan over medium heat until it simmers. Turn off heat; add sliced vanilla bean and dried cherries. Let rest for 15 minutes until cherries are plump.
- Scrape vanilla beans out of the pod and add them back into the compote; discard the remaining pod.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter; when melted, add sliced apples. Cook apples until they begin to soften but still hold their shape, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup and pomegranate juice mixture with the cherries. Simmer until the juice reduces to syrup, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Cinnamon French Toast: In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk (or soymilk), vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Place the bread slices in a flat casserole dish, and cover with the egg mixture. Let soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the slices of the soaked bread to the pan and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Top the toast with the warm pomegranate apple compote. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with fresh pomegranate arils.
Recipe by Chef Akasha Richmond, Akasha Restaurant, Culver City, Calif. / POM Wonderful
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 546
- Fat 18g
- Cholesterol 234mg
- Carbohydrate 82g
- Fiber 7g
- Protein 16g