Cinnamon French Toast with Caramel Apples
- Yield: 10 servings
- 1/2cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3tablespoons butter
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/2cup pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1cup skim milk
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8slices cinnamon raisin bread
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a large, oblong baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Over medium heat warm 1/2 cup sugar in a large nonstick skillet, stirring constantly until sugar melts and begins to turn golden, about 6 minutes. Stir in butter until just combined. Add in apple slices. If mixture becomes stiff, keep stirring until apples soften.
- Gradually add maple syrup to mixture, cooking until apples are tender, about 6 minutes. Set mixture aside.
- Beat eggs, egg whites, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Spread apple mixture across the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange bread slices across apple mixture. Spoon egg mixture over bread slices.
- For 15 minutes, allow egg mixture to soak into bread.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes and serve while warm.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 244
- Fat 6g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 52mg
- Sodium 151mg
- Carbohydrate 44g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 35g
- Protein 6g