Cider Scalloped Potatoes
- Yield 8 servings
Apple cider gives this dish a little pizzazz.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (2-ounces) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup (2-ounces) shredded Jarlsberg cheese
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Place the flour in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the milk gradually until blended. Stir in the cider, chicken broth, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil over medium heat; strirring constantly. Mix the Gouda cheese and Jarlsberg cheese in a small bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture and remaining potatoes in a greased baking dish. Pour the cider mixture over the potatoes. Bake at 425F for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and press the potatoes with a spatula. Sprinkle with the reserved cheese mixture. Bake for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Wichita Fall’s Now Serving (the Junior League of Wichita Falls, Tx., 2008).