Ciambellone (Tuscan Ring Cake)
- Yield: 8 servings
- 5cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
- 1pinch salt
- 5large eggs
- 2 1/2cups sugar
- 1cup milk
- 1cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Lightly butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan; knock out the excess flour.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir with a whisk to blend. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs until blended, then gradually whisk in the sugar. Stir in the milk, olive oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Fold in the flour mixture just until blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is golden and the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Remove from the oven, invert on a cake rack, and let cool completely. Run a thin knife around the sides of the pan and invert the cake onto a plate. Cut into wedges to serve.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Cucina Povera: Tuscan Peasant Cooking by Pamela Sheldon Johns (Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2011).