Ciabatta Squash Sage Dressing
- Yield 4 servings
Ciabatta bread and winter squash are seasoned with sage and a meatless gravy.
- 1 cup butternut squash
- -- Olive oil
- -- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices ciabatta bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick and diced
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 -- sage leaves, sliced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 -- garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Toss the squash with a little oil, salt and pepper; place on a sheet pan and bake for 30 minutes until the squash is soft.
- Heat the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the margarine in a cast iron skillet over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the margarine has melted. Toss in the sage and cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until the sage has become crispy. Add the onion and sauté for about 3 minutes, or until the onion is beginning to color and become fragrant. Stir in the garlic and cook 4 to 5 minutes more, or until the onion is soft. Remove the onion and garlic with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Place the ciabatta cubes in the pan and stir around, coating with the oil. Cook on medium-high heat, or until the bread is toasted. Remove from the pan and set in the bowl with the onions.
- Place the roasted squash in the bowl with the onions and the bread.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium low heat. Mix in the flour, stirring constantly, for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture becomes a pasta. Stir in the vegetable broth, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches the consistency of gravy.
- Pour the gravy over the sage squash bread mixture. Toss to coat.