- Yield 6 servings
The Churrasco marinade is delicious with poultry, beef or even seafood. But it’s also exceptionally good on eggplant “steaks," whole portobello mushrooms or tofu.
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 scotch bonnet or jalapeno pepper, minced, optional
- Grilled Tofu or Vegetables:
- 1 pound firm tofu OR 1 1/2 pounds zucchini OR 1 large eggplant OR 3 medium portobello mushrooms
- To make Marinade: Combine all ingredients in a nonreactive container.
- To make tofu or vegetables: Cut tofu crosswise or vegetables lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place in a large zip-seal bag and add marinade. Let sit for up to 2 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Grill vegetables or tofu on a gas grill or over coals 4 minutes per side or until browned (and vegetables are tender). Or you may broil the vegetables and tofu approximately 3 inches from broiler heating element 5 minutes per side until browned well.