Chunky Ratatouille Sauce
- Yield 6 servings
This low-fat vegetable sauce is delicious served over pasta shells, brown rice or your favorite grain.
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine, divided
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water, divided
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or more to taste
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- Soak eggplant chunks in salted water for 10 minutes. Drain, rinse, and drain again. Braise onion, celery, and garlic in 1/4 cup wine. When vegetables are soft, add eggplant and 1/4 cup water. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add more water if necessary to keep mixture from drying out. Add mushrooms, Italian seasonings, thyme, black pepper, remaining 1/4 cup wine, and tomatoes. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Recipe by Amy Joy Lanou, Ph.D., courtesy of The Cancer Project