Chunky Black Bean Soup
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 20 mins
A hearty vegetarian black bean soup with plenty of flavor and stick-to-your-ribs comfort.
Serve this classic Southwestern-style soup with crumbled tortilla chips on top.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 celery rib, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 cans (15 1/2-ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 1/2-ounce) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, 4 to 6 minutes or until onion is softened. Stir in beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and water. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Transfer 3 cups beans and liquid to a processor and process to a coarse purée. Return purée to pot, stir in vinegar and heat thoroughly.
Recipe by Jean Kressy