- Yield 20 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Cook 55 mins
- 3 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 4 drops almond flavoring concentrate
- 5 drops lemon flavoring concentrate
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring concentrate
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 1/4 cups cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups California raisins
- 1/4 cup California Zante currants
- 1 cup chopped candied orange and lemon peel
- 1 1/2 cups ground almonds
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325F. Butter a 15×10-inch jelly roll pan; set aside.
- Sift flour and baking powder together onto pastry board. Make a well in center. Put sugar, vanilla sugar, flavoring concentrates and eggs in well. Work a little flour into egg mixture to make a thick paste. Cut cold butter into small pieces over flour mixture. Knead butter, cream cheese, raisins, currants, peels and nuts into mixture to combine thoroughly. If dough is sticky add a little flour.
- Shape into a loaf on prepared baking pan. Bake on middle oven rack at 325F for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden. Brush cake immediately after baking with melted butter. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.
Note: Available at gourmet shops or substitute 2 tablespoons of rum for flavoring.
Recipe courtesy of the California Raisin Marketing Board