Christmas in July Tomato Soup
- Yield 4 servings
"Our family is widely scattered across the United States - including Hawaii - and winter weather makes Christmas family reunions almost impossible. So we celebrate Christmas in July in Rushville, Ill. Mom's fresh tomato soup, made from Roma tomatoes grown in my garden, is always in demand. "
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery, cut on the diagonal
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 8 sage leaves
- 8 basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules (or 1 cube)
- 6 to 8 Roma tomatoes, peeled
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic, sage, basil, and bouillon granules. Cook until the onion is soft, 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomatoes; reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Break up any large pieces of tomato with a fork or potato masher. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Julia Wall, Rushville, Ill.