Christmas Eve Meatballs
- Yield: 16 to 20 servings
"My family refers to this recipe as Christmas Eve Meatballs because it's the only time I make them. It can't be skipped - they are popular!"
- 3pounds ground beef
- 3/4cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 (1-ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) jar grape jelly
- 1 (24-ounce) bottle ketchup
- 1 (14-ounce) jar pizza sauce
- 3tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- To prepare the meatballs, combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl; mix well. Form the mixture into 64 meatballs.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange 32 meatballs on each baking sheet
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the meatballs are no longer pink in the center, stirring occasionally.
- To prepare the sauce, combine all of the ingredients in a Dutch oven. Add the cooked meatballs and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and let stand for 30 minutes.
Recipe by Betty Fortschneider, Brussels, Ill.