Christmas Cheese Balls
- Yield: 16 servings
"My husband's late grandmother, Rosemond Creech, called 'Grandma Great' by my children instead of Great Grandmother, created this recipe long ago to serve to her holiday guests. It is still a staple on our table, with its red pimiento and green onions and peppers carrying out the Christmas theme."
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1cup shredded mild or sharp Cheddar
- 2tablespoons diced pimiento, drained
- 2tablespoons finely chopped green onions (white and green parts)
- 1tablespoon finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8teaspoon garlic salt
- 1teaspoon lemon juice, optional
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1cup chopped pecans
- Combine the cream cheese, Cheddar, pimiento, green onions, bell pepper, Worcestershire, garlic salt, lemon juice, and cayenne, if using; mix well.
- Form the cheese mixture into two balls and roll in the pecans to cover completely.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours or overnight. Serve with crackers.
Recipe by Dee Dee Yantz, Smithfield, Ky.