- Yield 24 cups
This is great to have on hand to serve as a side to bean soups and stews.
- 4 quarts cabbage, shredded (6-8 pounds)
- 2 quarts green tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1/2 -- dozen bell peppers, green
- 1/2 -- dozen bell peppers, red
- 1 quart onions, sliced thin (2 pounds)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 quarts vinegar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 pounds sugar (4 cups), brown or white
- Measure and prepare vegetables and set aside.
- Combine sauce ingredients in large saucepan and bring to full boil.
- Cook for 15 minutes to thicken, stirring carefully. Do not burn. Pour cooked sauce over prepared vegetables.
- Cook almost to boil, mixing completely, and carefully not to let it stick.
- Seal in sterilized jars.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Charleston’s Charleston Receipts Repeats(the Junior League of Charleston, South Carolina, 1992).