- Yield: 24 cups
- 4quarts cabbage, shredded (6-8 pounds)
- 2quarts green tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1/2-- dozen bell peppers, green
- 1/2-- dozen bell peppers, red
- 1quart onions, sliced thin (2 pounds)
- 1cup plain flour
- 2tablespoons salt
- 2tablespoons dry mustard
- 2tablespoons turmeric
- 1 1/2quarts vinegar
- 1tablespoon celery seed
- 2pounds sugar (4 cups), brown or white
- Measure and prepare vegetables and set aside.
- Combine sauce ingredients in large saucepan and bring to full boil.
- Cook for 15 minutes to thicken, stirring carefully. Do not burn. Pour cooked sauce over prepared vegetables.
- Cook almost to boil, mixing completely, and carefully not to let it stick.
- Seal in sterilized jars.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Charleston’s Charleston Receipts Repeats(the Junior League of Charleston, South Carolina, 1992).