Chorizo Breakfast Sandwich with Mushroom Gravy
- Yield 4 servings
Lightly grilled bread is topped with a combination of arugula and chorizo, then topped with a perfectly poached egg and finally smothered in a savory mushroom gravy.
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 10 crimini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 ounce porcini mushrooms, dried
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups arugula
- 4 ounces Spanish chorizo sausage, sliced on a bias and cooked crisp
- 4 tablespoons olive oil vinaigrette
- 4 whole eggs
- 8 thin slices of hearty bread, lightly bread
- For mushroom gravy: Sauté onion and criminis in butter until brown, add garlic and cook until soft. Bring chicken stock to a boil and add porcinis. Remove from heat and let steep for 15 minutes. Remove porcinis from broth and chop, reserving the steeping liquid. Add chopped porcinis to crimini-onion mixture and whisk in flour. Add reserved mushroom liquid and white wine, bring to a boil and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add heavy cream and fresh herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste and keep warm until serving time.
- In a small bowl combine arugula and chorizo. Toss with olive oil vinaigrette and season lightly with salt and pepper. Poach eggs until yolk is barley set. Place a piece of bread on each of 4 plates, top with a small amount of arugula salad, set a poached egg on salad and cover with mushroom gravy. Lean a second piece of bread alongside.