Chopped Greek Steak Salad with Yogurt-Lemon Dressing
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2/3cup nonfat plain yogurt, preferably Greek-style
- 1 garlic clove, mined
- 1tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/8teaspoon black pepper
- 1 rib-eye, stip loin or top sirloin steak (about 12 ounces)
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4cups finely chopped hearts of Romaine
- 1/4cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1large cucumber, peeled and seeded and chopped
- 1pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 1/4cup pitted and sliced kalamata olives
- 3ounces crumbled feta
- To make dressing, whisk yogurt, garlic, lemon zest, olive oil, vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl until smooth. Thin with up to 3 tablespoons of water so it dribbles off a spoon. Let stand at room temperature at least 15 minutes to develop flavors. (Can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator.) Makes 1 cup.
- To prepare steak, preheat a gas or charcoal grill for high heat, pat steak dry and season with salt and pepper. Grill 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate and let rest 10 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- To prepare salad, make a bed of romaine on a large serving platter and sprinkle on parsley. Arrange cucumber, tomato, chickpeas, avocado, olives and feta in mounds, and place steak strips in center. Serve with a large spoon for guests to make their own mix and pass dressing on the side.
For more dinner recipes under 400 calories and with less than 20 grams of fat, check out our FREE 25 Dinners on a Diet Recipe Collection for the iPad on iTunes.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 300
- Fat 18g
- Cholesterol 30mg
- Sodium 640mg
- Carbohydrate 19g
- Fiber 7g
- Protein 17g