Chocolate Zucchini Bread with Walnuts
- Yield 16 servings
This delicious chocolate bread gets extra moisture and nutrition from unassuming zucchini.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 9 x 5 x 3-inch non-stick loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine flours, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and baking powder in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, mix brown sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla until blended. Stir in zucchini and walnuts.
- Using third of flour mixture each time, add flour mixture alternating with milk to zucchini mixture, stirring lightly after each addition just until moist.
- Transfer batter to pan. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Do not overbake.
Note: In quick breads, replace up to half of the all-purpose flour with whole-wheat flour—an easy way to add more nutrition to the bread and enhance the nutty flavor.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 Easy Recipes from My Louisiana Kitchen, 2008.