Chocolate Peppermint Cake
- Yield 16 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 0 mins
Crushed peppermint candies top the frosting on this chocolate layer cake.
- -- (8-inch) round chocolate cake layers
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- -- Peppermint candy or sticks, crushed
- Prepare two 8-inch round chocolate cake layers according to your favorite homemade recipe or instructions on any box mix. Add 1 tablespoon pure peppermint extract to the batter.
- To prepare frosting, combine all ingredients except crushed candy, in a large bowl using a mixer. Scrape side of bowl as needed and mix until very smooth and fluffy. Frost top of one cake layer. Place second layer on top. Frost top and sides. Sprinkle frosted cake with candy.
Recipe by Mary Carter.