Chocolate Pecan Cranberry Coffee Cake
- Yield: 10-12 servings
- Cook: 60 minutes
- 1/2cup dried cranberries
- Zest and juice of a medium organic orange
- 3/4cup pecans, roasted and cooled, coarsely chopped
- 1/4cup rolled oats, toasted and cooled
- 1/2cup organic whole cane sugar, ground in a blender until powdered
- 2tablespoons mild tasting extra-virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoons vegan chocolate chips
- 1cup organic all-purpose flour
- 3/4cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/3cup organic granulated sugar
- 1teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4cup plus 1 tablespoon mild tasting extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4cup pure maple syrup, Grade B or dark amber
- 3/4 cup nondairy milk
- 1tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/8teaspoon pure orange oil (optional)
- 1/3cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2cup Chocolate Confectioners’ Sugar Glaze
- Confectioners' Sugar Glaze
- 1 1/3cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons boiling water
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix cranberries and orange juice in a small bowl and soak for 10 minutes, or until softened. The amount of time needed depends on the dryness of the fruit.
- Drain cranberries, reserving 1 tablespoon of the juice. Return cranberries to bowl, and add pecans, oats, whole cane sugar, zest, and oil. If the crumb is dry, add the reserved tablespoon of juice. (Think damp sand.) Stir chips into the crumb and set aside while you make the cake.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350F. Oil the sides and bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment circle (or paper cut to fit). Do not oil the paper.
- Place a wire mesh strainer over a medium bowl. Add all-purpose flour, pastry flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt to the strainer and stir with a whisk to sift ingredients into the bowl. If any small bits remain in the strainer, add them to the mixture in the bowl. Whisk to aerate mixture.
- Whisk oil, maple syrup, nondairy milk, vanilla, vinegar, and orange oil (if using) in a separate medium bowl until completely combined. Immediately pour into dry mixture and whisk until batter is smooth. Stir chocolate chips into batter.
- Pour about half the batter into prepared cake pan. Sprinkle with half the crumb, going light on the center. Pour the remaining batter over the crumb, using a small spatula or thin knife to spread batter to the sides of the pan if necessary. Sprinkle remaining crumb over the batter, again keeping the center relatively light on crumb.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until the cake has begun to pull away from the sides of the pan and a wooden toothpick or skewer inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs.
- Cool pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Place a piece of parchment on top of the cake and invert. Remove the pan and carefully peel off parchment paper. Invert the cake again, top side up on the rack and cool to room temperature before cutting and serving.
Chocolate Confectioners’ Sugar Glaze:
- Sift confectioners’ sugar and cocoa into a small heatproof bowl.
- Add boiling water and whisk until sugar and cocoa are dissolved and glaze is smooth.
- Add vanilla and whisk until incorporated.
Recipe courtesy of Vegan Chocolate by Fran Costigan.