Chocolate Pecan Bourbon Pie
- Yield: 10 servings
- 1 (9-inch) piecrust, store-bought or your favorite crust recipe
- 2tablespoons heavy cream (to glaze the crimped pie edges)
- 3large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4cups dark corn syrup
- 1/2tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1tablespoon bourbon
- 5tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and kept warm
- 1 1/2cups chopped pecans
- 3/4cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Brush edges of pie shell with heavy cream.
- To prepare the filling, combine eggs, sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and bourbon in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl at least 2 times while mixing. Add warm melted butter and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine pecans and chocolate chips. Sprinkle over bottom of pie shell. Pour filling over the nuts and chips, covering them completely.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until the pie is firm. The edges of the filling will rise, but the middle will remain a little loose. The pie will continue to bake after it’s removed from the oven. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool 2 to 3 hours before serving. This pie is best served at room temperature or warmed in a 350F oven about 10 minutes. It can be stored in the refrigerator up to 5 days. When wrapped tightly with plastic wrap, it can also be frozen for up to 2 weeks.
Reprinted with permission from Michele Stuart’s Perfect Pies (Ballantine Books, 2011).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 515
- Fat 29g
- Cholesterol 85mg
- Sodium 182mg
- Carbohydrate 62g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 4g