Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Yield 2 dozen
- Prep 30 mins
- Cook 18 mins
Chocolate and peanut butter is an unbeatable combination.
Kids love chocolate and peanut butter, so this is the perfect “I love you” dessert. Topped with an addictively light and creamy frosting, these cupcakes are quite irresistible.
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 -- eggs, room temperature
- 4 ounces chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick), softened
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease two 12-cup muffin tins, or line with papers.
- Combine peanut butter and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Using a mixer at medium speed, beat until light and fluffy.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Combine butter and granulated sugar in mixing bowl. Using a mixer at medium speed, beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Pour in melted chocolate and beat until thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to butter mixture and beat to combine. Add vanilla and mix well.
- Fill muffin tins half full with batter. Spoon about 1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter mixture on top of batter (don't spread). Spoon remaining batter over peanut butter. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until tops spring back when touched. (Note: The normal toothpick test for doneness won't work due to the filling.) Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- To prepare frosting, combine cream cheese, butter and peanut butter in a bowl. Using a mixer at medium speed, beat until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add powdered sugar, beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Frost tops of cupcakes when they are completely cool.
Recipe by Jennifer Perillo.