Chocolate Orange Cake
- Yield: 12 servings
- 2 1/4cups flour, sifted
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3cup butter
- 1 1/2cups sugar
- 3medium eggs
- 3ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2teaspoons orange extract
- 1/2cup orange chocolate liqueur
- 3/4cup evaporated milk
- 1/2cup water
- 1/4cup cooking oil
- 1/2cup cream cheese, whipped
- 2tablespoons orange chocolate liqueur
- 1/4teaspoon orange extract
- 2cups posdered sugar
- Finely grated rind of 2 oranges
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and lightly flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffly. Add eggs one at time; beat well after each addition. Add melted chocolate liqueur; blend well. Mix together milk and water. Add dry ingredients to chocolate mixture alternately with milk mixture. Mix until smooth. Stir in cooking oil. Pour into pans.
- Bake until tops spring back when lightly touched with finger, about 30 minutes. Let layers cool in pans about 5 minutes; turn out onto wire racks. Let cool completely. Fill and frost with Chocolate Orange Frosting and garnish with nuts.
- To make frosting: Beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in orange chocolate liqueur and orange extract until well blended. Gradually beat in sugar until smooth. Add grated peel; mix well.