Chocolate Olive Oil Glaze
- Yield: 1 cups
By adding some mild-tasting extra virgin olive oil to melted chocolate, you'll end up with a delicious vegan chocolate dip and even a lusciously smooth cake glaze.
- 6ounces dark chocolate (70 to 72%), finely chopped
- 2tablespoons mild tasting extra-virgin oil or neutral vegetable oil
- 2 pinches flaked sea salt (optional)
- Line a sheet pan with a piece of plastic wrap, parchment or a Silpat baking mat.
- Melt half of the chocolate with olive oil in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (make sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl), stirring a few times until the chocolate is just melted. Add the rest of the chocolate and stir until melted.
- Remove bowl from the saucepan. Wipe the water from the bottom of the bowl. Crush the salt between your fingers and add to chocolate, stirring until the chocolate is completely melted and the glaze is smooth.
- To dip larger items: hold by the end or stem. Dip each piece two-thirds of the way into the chocolate. Lift up and allow the excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl. Set each piece on the lined sheet pan and push forward just slightly, so the chocolate doesn’t puddle too much. (Don’t worry if it does.) Allow chocolate to set at room temperature for about 15 minutes, then refrigerate on the tray until set. To dip smaller pieces, such as nuts or seeds, plunk a bunch at a time into a shallower bowl of chocolate and push them around with a fork until coated. Remove with a large fork or slotted spoon and allow the excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl. Place on the lined baking sheet to harden and then refrigerate.
- Refrigerate until serving. The chocolate dipped “anythings” will peel off the acetate, parchment, or Silpat when the chocolate has hardened.
Note: Fruit must be thoroughly dry and cold before dipping (chocolate sets fastest on cold fruit). Rinse the fruit gently (do not wash berries more than 30 minutes before using), gently pat dry with paper towels and refrigerate until cold
Variation: Add a coating of chopped nuts, seeds, coconut or fine cake or cookie crumbs: After dipping the item, roll or sprinkle with any of the above toppings. Make a free-form design by waving a forkful of melted chocolate over the item instead of dipping. If you want to create neat lines, pipe the melted chocolate through a small pastry bag, paper cornet, or squeeze bottle.
Recipe courtesy of Vegan Chocolate by Fran Costigan.