Chocolate Meringue Pie
- Yield: 10 servings
Use a deep-dish pie crust or 14 tartlette shells.
- 3 egg yolks (pasteurized eggs recommended)
- 1 1/4cups whole milk
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup sugar
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4tablespoons cocoa
- 1teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (9-inch) deep-dish pie crust, baked
- 3 egg whites (pasteurized eggs recommended)
- 6tablespoons sugar
- 1/2teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- To make the filling, combine yolks, milk and salt in a double boiler insert. Whisk well.
- Combine sugar, flour and cocoa in a separate bowl. Add to egg mixture, whisking well. Cook over simmering water, stirring often, until thick, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool and stir in vanilla. Pour into a pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 375F
- To make the meringue, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Combine sugar and baking powder. Add to egg whites, beating until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla and salt. Beat to combine. Spread meringue over pie filling. Bake about 2 minutes, until meringue is golden.