Chocolate Marble Apricot Upside-Down Cake
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 40 mins
Who knew chocolate and apricots got along so well?
- Topping and Fruit:
- 1 cup dried apricots, quartered
- 2/3 cup apricot or peach juice, heated
- 1/2 cup fruit-only apricot spread
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 -- egg
- 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Chocolate Swirl:
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 ounce semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- To prepare topping and fruit, place apricots in a heatproof bowl; pour boiling juice over them. Soak 45 minutes. Drain, reserving juice and fruit. Combine juice with fruit spread.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Coat a 9- or10-inch cake pan with cooking spray. Pour in melted butter. Sprinkle brown sugar over butter, pressing with fingertips. Spoon juice mixture over sugar; top with apricots.
- To prepare cake, place butter and sugar in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Beat in vanilla and egg.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Spread two-thirds of the batter over fruit.
- Add cocoa and chocolate to remaining batter. Drop chocolate batter, by spoonfuls, over vanilla batter. Swirl batter with a knife tip, being careful not to stir apricots.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until vanilla portions of cake are golden brown. Remove from oven, cool 10 minutes, and invert onto a serving plate.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.