Chocolate Malt Ice Cream
- Yield 12 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 10 mins
Remember the chocolate malts of your youth? Turn them into an ice cream flavor.
Look for jars of malted milk powder next to the Ovaltine or ice cream cone section in your local supermarket.
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup malted milk powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whisk half-and-half, sugar, malted milk powder, cocoa powder and chopped chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth.
- Whisk half the cocoa mixture into eggs. Whisk this mixture back into remaining cocoa mixture.
- Reduce heat to very low. Whisk constantly until mixture thickens slightly and coats back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in cream, vanilla and salt.
- Pour into large container, cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. Pour mixture into the canister of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Recipe by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough.