- Yield 24 servings
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 ounces melted bittersweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 14 ounce bag sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Combine condensed milk, melted chocolate and vanilla in a large bowl. Add coconut and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Beat egg whites and salt until very stiff peaks form, 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Gently fold egg whites into coconut mixture.
- Dip 2 spoons into water, shake them off and form mixture into balls slightly smaller than a golf ball. Do not compact mixture. Place on baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely. Makes 24.
Recipe adapted with permission from the publisher, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, from The Macaroon Bible by Dan Cohen.