- Yield: 2-4 dozens
- Cook: 10 minutes
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 1/2cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
- 1/2 to 3/4teaspoon hazelnut flavoring (optional)
- 1/4cup cocoa powder
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4cup chocolate-hazelnut spread, such as Nutella or Jif
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) 2 baking sheets.
- Combine all ingredients except flour. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add flour, beating on low speed until well combined; the dough will be quite stiff and a bit crumbly. If it doesn’t hold together well, drizzle in enough water or cold coffee (1 tablespoon or less) to bring it together. If you add too much liquid, the cookies will flatten and spread out too much as they bake.
- Drop cookie dough by teaspoonfuls or tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Use a large dinner fork to flatten each cookie to about 3⁄8-inch thick, making a cross-hatch design.
- Bake 7 to 10 minutes, until cookies seem set.
- Remove from oven and transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. Makes 2 dozen large or 4 dozen small cookies.