Chocolate Espresso Souffle
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 31 mins
A lighter chocolate dessert that's bound to impress.
If you want your soufflé to rise above the dish, you can make this in a 4-cup soufflé dish. Make a collar by wrapping a strip of buttered parchment paper around the outside of the dish and securing it with a string. Serve this soufflé with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.
- Butter to coat baking dish
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons espresso or very strong brewed coffee
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 400F. Thoroughly butter a 2-quart soufflé dish or 6 (8-ounce) ramekins and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar.
- Combine espresso and chocolate in a glass bowl. Microwave about 1 minute; stir until chocolate melts.
- Whisk egg yolks into chocolate mixture.
- Beat egg whites in a clean, dry bowl with a mixer until frothy. Gradually add remaining 1/;4 cup sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- Stir about 1 cup egg white mixture into chocolate mixture. Fold remaining egg white mixture into chocolate mixture.
- Spoon into the prepared dish. Place on a baking sheet and bake 30 to 40 minutes (soufflé dish) or 20 to 25 minutes (ramekins), until soufflé rises. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Tracy Ceurvels.